Masternode: connect failed after select. no route to host

Howdy, I can’t get the Masternode to work it’s magic, it seems the node is working fine but the masternode functionality is not. There seems to be an issue with the external IP, which is available and open, I checked it, 6 times.

Is this really a connection problem?

version: 4.1.3
host: docker

This is an error from my logs.
2020-12-09T06:47:17Z connect() to <my external ip>:8369 failed after select(): No route to host (113)

syscoin-cli getblockchaininfo

{
  "chain": "main",
  "blocks": 800162,
  "headers": 800162,
  "bestblockhash": "11e0d3538d89d",
  "difficulty": 361136560597.3135,
  "mediantime": 1607495977,
  "verificationprogress": 0.9999972670487498,
  "initialblockdownload": false,
  "chainwork": "00000000000026bec290031",
  "size_on_disk": 1465613551,
  "pruned": false,
  "geth_sync_status": "synced",
  "geth_total_blocks": 11417160,
  "geth_current_block": 11417160,
  "softforks": {
    "bip34": {
      "type": "buried",
      "active": true,
      "height": 1
    },
    "bip66": {
    },
    "bip65": {
    },
    "csv": {
    }
  },
  "warnings": ""
}

syscoin-cli mnsync status

{
  "AssetID": 999,
  "AssetName": "MASTERNODE_SYNC_FINISHED",
  "AssetStartTime": 1607493836,
  "Attempt": 0,
  "IsBlockchainSynced": true,
  "IsMasternodeListSynced": true,
  "IsWinnersListSynced": true,
  "IsSynced": true,
  "IsFailed": false
}

syscoin-cli masternode status, the IP and port are available, tripple checked, twice

{
  "outpoint": "00000000000000000000000000000000000007295",
  "service": "194.35.12.243:8369",
  "status": "Not capable masternode: Could not connect to <my external ip>:8369"
}

Can you share the contents of your masternode’s syscoin.conf? Curious if something is misconfigured there.

I run this docker container: blockchainfoundryinc/docker-syscoind:4.1.3.1
It seems that my config fails with Bridge networking but works with Host networking

Also, the container can’t shutdown or restart since the shutdown does not wait for the services to stop so when you start it again it just resumes shutting down and it becomes a mess.

disablewallet=0
printtoconsole=1
rpcuser=syscoinrpc
rpcpassword=somepassword
listen=1
server=1
rpcbind=0.0.0.0
masternode=1
masternodeprivkey=somekey
externalip=myexternalip
port=8369

It’s a bit hard to find the right config, even with host networking I have been trying to sync all day, now re-indexing again.

Do you have a firewall in place that might be interfering under certain network configurations?

I have to assume your controller node’s masternode.conf entry (externalip:port) matches the [externalip] and [port] in your masternode’s syscoin.conf, because you seem to know what you’re doing for the most part.

I have replaced the volume in docker and now it has normal speed syncing. I wasted a lot of time on that one.

The wallet is not on this machine so masternode.conf is empty if I’m not mistaken.

You are correct that the masternode.conf on the masternode host itself should be empty. However, it should be populated on your controller node, and the IP:port in that file should match the [externalip] and [port] listed in your masternode host’s syscoin.conf… as well as mnprivkey.

Running the controller as a separate node is considered best-practice, primarily so that your funds (including collateral) aren’t in your masternode’s hot wallet, but on a controller node that can be rendered cold as needed. However, if you’re just wanting to run a masternode for testing purposes on testnet it’s probably okay to have the masternode host also serve as the controller. In that case the masternode.conf on your masternode host should be populated as well.

1 Like

Thank you for your advice, I was having an issue with a failed volume setup, the lack of bridge support in the docker image, the recent ‘fork’ and the bug in the QT 4.1.3 wallet but now it seems to be running smooth :slight_smile:

1 Like