Wallet Syscoin 4.0.1 Questions

Hi, I have the following syscoin wallet: 4.0.1. I’m not sure how to use it (I forgot), but I set it up with the help of the Sys team last June when Bittrex was about to boot me because I am a New York resident. All of my sys is in there, and I do not want to lose them! I just got a new laptop, so before I trade in my old laptop I have two questions:

1. Are my sys still safe in the Wallet 4.0.1? Do I need to upgrade?
  2. Are there any special precautions I need to take when I back up my old laptop and migrate that material to the new laptop? Both of my laptops are Macbooks.

Thanks so much.

Yes your Syscoin is safe. You will need to update to a new wallet eventually before you can transact with it again, but it’s safe the way it is. You always want backups of your wallet.dat file as that gives you access to your funds and can be moved between devices. If you don’t have copies of that file and your computer breaks you will lose your funds.

If you are getting a new laptop you would just need to download the latest wallet and put a wallet.dat backup into it. But it’s not necessary to move it to your new laptop if you’re not going to be transacting any Syscoin yet. Keeping secure backups on multiple USBs, external hard drives etc is fine.

For Mac it should be located in /Users/[USERNAME]/Library/Application Support/Syscoin/

If you’ve got a masternode you’ll want to backup your masternode.conf file too

What NerZee said.

Also, here’s a walk-through for upgrading your wallet:

Thanks so much. I emailed you and Bradly, but I just noticed that it’s a no reply email.
Anyway, it doesn’t look like I have a “wallet.dat” file. When I go to my Syscoin folder, I have six things under “bin” that look like executable files:

• syscoin-cli

• syscoin-qt

• syscoin-tx

• syscoin-wallet

• syscoind

• test_syscoin

Where would they–or the “wallet.dat”–be in there? Should I try to open any of those? I haven’t upgraded yet, but I saved all of that in a syscoin folder I have last year. (There is additional stuff in that folder if that would help you, such as “libsyscoinconsensus.dylib” and other stuff.). Thanks again.

That is not the syscoin data folder
Look where the guide shows you under ‘Backup first’

Hi John,
Thanks so much for your help. That particular extension does not exist. Under application support there is no “syscoin” folder.

I found my notes regarding a Transaction ID and an Address where I sent my sys last June. Evidently, my notes say I sent the sys to the “Syscoin Core QT wallet.” Does that help at all? Thanks again.

I also have a coinomi wallet, which has a little sys in it. All I had to do was click on that to see that it’s still there. As for the bulk of the sys, however, it appears to be in that “Syscoin Core QT wallet” which I cannot seem to access, copy, etc.

If you can open syscoin you must have a data directory but it may be hidden

Would trying to open the QT wallet do any harm? It looks like it’s trying to connect but the last time I opened it was June 2019. So, it’s going through the days of June 2019 now… I can’t imagine how long this would take to sync, plus if it’s outdated will something happen to it? Should I shut it down? (Meaning, x out of it on the left on a mac?). Thanks, John.

You must be misunderstanding what i said. I did not say open QT as it will not work until you upgrade it. What i said was as you have run QT before the syscoin data directory MUST exist but may be hidden and i gave you a link to show you how to see hidden files.
So first find your wallet.dat and make a copy
Then follow the upgrade procedure

Yes, I was misunderstanding. I found my wallet.dat. The only issue now is that I have two “wallet.dat” files. One under a “Syscoin” folder, the other under a “Syscoin 2 folder.” One of them is from 2018. The other was 2019. Would you copy both?

It is ‘syscoin’
Then update to latest 4.1.3 https://github.com/syscoin/syscoin/releases/tag/v4.1.3 and run it.
If it gets stuck you will need to reindex How to reindex a Syscoin client

Hey guys. Here’s a simple guide to find your Syscoin data directory based on what OS and Syscoin version you have.